Saturday, October 27, 2012

How I got The Name "Fred"


How I Got The Name “FRED”


I Have had many nicknames over the years, but One is by far my favorite, and holds the fondest memories. That name is Fred. Having a name of "Jon", it would seem that being called "Fred" was not something most would come-up with. But it happened, and it stuck. It has been over 28 years since I was given that name, and occasionally, I still tell people my name is Fred. Then I smile. It happened again yesterday. When I said my name was Fred, then smiled, the girl at Subway who I told this to did not get why it made me so happy. I then told her my real name was Jon, not Fred. She was confused as to why I would say a different name. I told her I would explain more when I did not have to go catch a bus.



Many many years ago (1984 to be exact!), I moved to a new home and new school. This was Medford, Oregon. When I moved, there, it was the beginning of My tenth-grade year of school. It was Medford Mid-High. I was new at this school, and classes had started before I moved, so I was starting new and late in a foreign place to me! I didn’t even know anybody, or my way around the school yet. 

In my leather crafts class, I met a guy, named Mike, that also had the same next class as me. He offered to show me the way there. I think it was a science class, but that part is not important. I sat at the same table as he did. Behind us were two girls. One of them wanted to get my attention, and not knowing my name yet, said “hay Bud”. I had no idea she was referring to me. Then she said it again, and I realized she was trying to get my attention. Being the smart-ass that I am, I turned and said “It is ‘Miller’, Not Bud!” (meaning different beer name)

Well, that opened the door. The Girl next to her said, “Then We will call You ‘Fred’.” I laughed, and told them “My name was Jon, Not Fred.” They decided then, that my new name would be “Fred Bud Jon Miller”.

I was happy with that. The two girls turned out to be quite funny, and I enjoyed getting to know them. They were Kendra and Michelle. As the school year moved-on, we became good friends. The Next Year, we all went to The Medford Senior High. (it later changed to North Medford Senior High). There, Michelle introduced me to her sister, Sonja. Well, it was obvious that those two were really close, and best of friends, too! Sonja happily welcomed Me in as “Fred”. The name stuck. Michelle, Kendra, Sonja, and I were close enough. We were School-buds. They made me laugh, feel comfortable, and always were happy to see me, as I was them.

Then after time passed, and we had graduated, in 1987, life happened, and I never saw any of them again.

Fast-Forward to 2008…. I found Sonja and Michelle on Myspace. I wrote each of them and said I was “Fred”…. To which they both remembered exactly who I was! Kendra had passed-away, before I could locate her again. We continued to keep in touch, and have gone over to Facebook as well.
Many times, when asked my name, I happily tell people “My Name is Fred.”

It always gets a side-ways look, and makes people wonder. 

Michelle, Sonja, and Kendra, too…… You made a lasting impression in my life! And over twenty eight years later, That very first day still makes me smile, and get a little teary-eyed! Thank you for the name of Fred!
                                HUgS!, Always, Fred ~=:-)
                               (Fred Bud Jon Miller)

1 comment:

  1. Man...........good memories! Kendra and Michelle were such a pair....so many funny and quirky things that they did or usually said......became an ongoing "thing" for the whole group! Michelle and I still can say these things that no one else would get at all (Dart!..hair tut....and talking whilst sucking air in) have a good laugh and for a brief moment be back in time. You made my most hated subject in the whole world...PE......a little more tolerable ......so thank you Fred........I mean Jon......:) I am so happy my sister was willing to share her friends with me!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments. Please be polite and respectful. It is ok if you disagree with what I write, but it is not acceptable for you to be mean or slanderous. I Do choose to moderate comments, only to keep the peace. You can bet I will publish your comments, even if we disagree, just play nice. Thanks! ~=:-)