Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!(or Living in a Tent..) HUH!?


It is Thanksgiving weekend…
But I am Thinking About Life in a Tent! :)

This was my home in the summer of 2009.
(before I got the protective tarps hung-up)
To the right is where My Hammock hung :)

I find it hilarious that I am choosing to write about the joys of having lived in a tent, rather than all the other things associated with Thanksgiving . But There really is a connection...

The reason living in a tent is on my mind, is because the temperature has finally gotten cool in Vegas.  I find it interesting that the Vegas temperatures in late November feel like the normal spring and summer temperatures in Oregon. The temps reach down into the forties at night, and in the seventies day time. I love the feeling and memories these winter temperatures are creating, just like when I lived in my tent in Oregon. I like the feel of the crisp, clean, cool air. I Absolutely love the feel of sleeping in the cold air, but completely snuggled-up in my cocoon of blankets. (I have written about My Favorite Blanket Here: http://enterwithanopenmindorclosedeyes.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-favorite-balnket-came-out-of-storage.html )  At the time I wrote that, I was still using my chair outside. Since then, I have had to retreat to the indoors. This is not so much because of the cold, but because of the fall-rains, and wind. I could not keep my chair, pillows, and blankets dry. I would much-rather still be using my chair on the balcony, but a wet, moldy chair is not at all comfortable. I now use my chair indoors, but keep the window open.

I sleep very soundly, and when it is cold all around, it is even better! I love the feel of the cool all around my wonderful cocoon. I live as much of my life as is possible completely naked. You would think that because I get cold easily, that naked would not be an option when the air is cool, and even down-right cold! For some odd reason, it is the exact opposite. I am funny like that.

Most people associate colder weather with needing to bundle-up, and even to sleep in more winter-like costumes. I learned early on in life that when it is cold, you actually can sleep warmer if you sleep naked. It is kinda funny how I learned this, but that is a story for another post.

Of course, I sleep nekkid in any weather, but when it is cold all around you, it is a feeling that cannot be matched in any way of connecting with nature. Even getting out of your warm bed, and into the sudden chill is not at all a problem. By sleeping so comfortably, the body is amply-warm, and when you instantly feel the cold, in helps in greeting the new day. I am still warm, but enjoy the feel of the cool morning air. Sometimes I will wear socks, and a hat. (Everyone knows that covering your head and feet are the best ways to preserve body-heat!) :)

In May of 2009, I chose to go and live in my tent. The reasons, and events which caused me to wish to live in a tent are numerous, and that is a difficult road to re-visit. Eventually, hopefully, I will be able to write about all that without getting too upset.  In short, the main reason I wished to live in a tent was for my sanity. Some of the tangles I had found myself entwined with had turned very bad, and I had to break those ties. The economy had turned, and I found myself working for the lowest wages I had in twenty years. I could not afford to get an apartment, and another roommate situation was not a good idea. Also, due to some of the events, I needed to be alone to sort things out.

 I was in Portland, Oregon at the time.  Portland is not known for having the best weather for living in a tent. I also found out that finding a place where one could legally live in a tent was almost impossible. I searched every possible place one could imagine, and found nothing but roadblocks. The designated camp-grounds were extremely cost-prohibitive. The few I found that were actually affordable had limits of only being allowed to stay for 14-days. Even the national forests, BLM Lands, and other such places, had limits on the few number of days you could stay. The permits needed were extremely expensive. Even the few I found where I could afford, they were extremely unsafe. If I had set-up, and then left to go to work, when I returned, all my stuff would be gone. So those were not an option. I needed to find someplace I could live that was safe, not terribly expensive, and I would not have to move every two weeks. It also needed to be fairly close to The Portland Metro area, so I could still come and go to work daily.

I finally decided to place an ad in Craigslist looking for a place I could safely live on someone’s private property. I made it clear about my values, need for safety, peace, and mutual respect. I got hundreds of replies. They all saw an opportunity for what they perceived as easy extra income. Sadly, almost every one of them was what I would consider an extremely unacceptable living situation.  I even had people trying to get me to pitch my tent in their carport inside trailer-courts. I was about to totally give-up, and go live in another bad roommate situation.

Then I got an email from Kelly. I could tell right away she was seemingly a good-fit to what I needed. We exchanged a few emails. I gave her the links to my online activity, and she gave me hers. We both decided this seemed like a good fit. We set a meeting to see if it was going to work for each of us. She was seeking a roommate, but needed someone safe around her daughter. She had property in the hills southwest of The Portland Area where there was plenty of space for a tent, but not crowded near anything else. I had to pass three tests once I arrived at her house: First was her dogs: Everyone knows animals can tell about a human’s true intentions. The Second was her Daughter: If I was in any way a threat, or made her uncomfortable at all, obviously I would not be a good fit. Third was her father: He lived at the adjoining property, and came to interrogate me. We all agreed it was a good fit.

Kelly tried to talk me into taking the room she had available, but I really wanted to be outside. She was fine with this, and even insisted I could still have access to the house facilities if I chose. I am extremely comfortable with everything nature, so living completely outside would not be a problem for me. She had no problem with me existing solely outdoors, but also insisted I could use the house facilities and it would be no problem. I agreed that the bathroom, laundry, and freezer in the garage would be good.

We walked the property, and decided the spot she had chosen for me to put my tent was ideal. It was about 75-100 yards down the hill from the house. It was in a fairly sheltered section of her property. I could be under the trees, with a place to string my hammock, and heavy brush, trees, and shrubs to the sides. It was an ideal location. I could live a in a camping-type environment, with a few conveniences inside the house. While it was fairly secluded, it was also not hidden. This would allow me to exist, and go about my daily living without feeling like I was intruding on others, nor me feeling like I was in a fish-bowl. We would each exist, aware the other was there, but not so close that we were lacking our own privacy. I also made sure she was aware of my purple toenails, completely shaved body, and naked (when appropriate) lifestyle. Since I would be using a shared bathroom, and my tent-area would be visible from the house (If anyone chose to look down there) I did not want there to be any shocks, surprises, or things she was not aware of that could possibly make her wish she had not allowed me to live here. She was fine with all of these, even saying: “What each person does is their business, as long as they do not affect the others around them.”
The corner of the property where I would set-up my camp :)


I moved, and set-up camp the following weekend.  The trees and bushes provided shelter from the rain, and wind. I also set-up a tarp-system and drainage trenches that could withstand the storms Oregon can deliver… especially living on the edge of the coast-range mountains. I know how to keep dry when living outdoors. I set up so the sunrise would shine in through the tent doors, but the rain could not reach the tent. I could sleep where I could easily see the stars from my bed, yet the rain could not come inside. My tent was large enough to make a kitchen inside, along with sleeping space, and all my clothes to be organized. Outside, I set-up a cook station, because I won’t cook with flame inside a tent. I also hung my hammock between a couple of trees, where I could enjoy the morning sun, but have the afternoon shade. The only thing that was not ideal was I could not have a camp-fire here. It was technically in the city limits of the small-town of Laurelwood, so fires were not allowed.

While I had full access to the house, I was camping (sort-of), so I would do as much like camping as was practical. One of my greatest joys, is being as connected with nature as is practical, and possible. To me, connecting with nature would include being naked as much as possible.  Camping in complete wilderness, it is not at all unusual to be completely naked for days at a time. Camping within view of houses, there are a few limits to how much you can be naked. But if done without attempting to attract attention, it is wonderful how much you can do naked without causing alarm by those around you.

Other than the very first day, when we agreed to the living arrangement, we never discussed the complexities usually found in a shared-living environment. This was one of the most comfortable, accepting homes I had ever shared. We each came and went as we needed. We each used the house-facilities, without concern or worry about what the others were or were not doing. We all went about our daily lives without concern. When one of us did happen to see another in what would be an uncomfortable situation in most homes, it was treated as though it were no big deal here.  Nobody ever cared what anyone else was or was not wearing. Nakedness, privacy, respect, seeing others, sharing house facilities, etc were treated as if we had known each other all our lives, and it was not an abnormality. We all had a mutual understanding of how to exist in the same space, but not feel the need to be in each others’ lives. We respected the others, and were comfortable, safe, and relaxed.

 When I am camping, I wake-up just as the sun would come over the horizon. I Love lying in the cocoon of the warm blankets, feeling the cold air outside, as you let the sun shine into the tent, and warm your face. Then I would brave the cold air, put on a hat, socks, and boots, and go to hurry and build a fire. If you have never greeted the brisk morning air while naked, then built a fire, it is something  so magnificent, you will cherish it forever! Sure, you shiver a bit, but that is what makes the fire so much better! As soon as you get your fire started, you place your shivering body in the path of the warm smoke. Then you slowly feel the warmth of the growing fire. After getting your body sufficiently toasty, then you can make your hot water for your coffee. After you have had some coffee, then you would brave a shower in the cold-brisk morning air…often done as close as possible to the warmth of the flame.

It was May when I moved into my tent. It was not uncommon to still find frost on the ground in the mornings. The day-time temperatures were just beginning to warm up as summer approached. I loved this! I would wake-up just as the sun would come over the horizon. I could not build a morning fire here, so I would have to put on some clothes until I had made the coffee. I would heat the water the night before, and store it in thermoses and hotpots. The water stayed scalding-hot over night without a problem. While my coffee was brewing, I would go and set-up the blankets in my hammock. By now, I was sufficiently warm, and would strip down again. Then I would grab my book, and cup of hot coffee, and go relax in my cocoon, swinging in the hammock, watching the day come alive around me.
The View across from my tent...
or "My Living Room" :)

I have a different favorite blanket I use to make my cocoon than I featured in the above mentioned “Favorite Blanket Blog”. The one I use for cocoons when it is cold outside, and I need to keep the cold air completely out is a down-comforter with micro-fiber shell. It does more than just keep me warm. It always has a little bit of her love wrapped around me, too.  This one was given to me by a special young lady for Christmas many years ago. Aly felt it was so important, that she even battled black-Friday madness to be sure and get it for me. At one time, Aly was one of the most important people in my life. (She still is, but circumstances have made it so she must go other directions.) From the moment I returned to Oregon in 2007, she made sure to grab every opportunity to be included in my life. She did not care one iota that I was always naked. She just wanted to spend quality time with me. She had lost me once before, and wanted to get as much time again before life took us separate ways again. She told me as long as I had this blanket, I would be warmed… both in physical warmth, and in the warming of my heart. She included her love, and care in this blanket.   

As the summer came, and the temperatures got warmer, there were so many wonderful experiences living out there with my tent as my home. The deer, birds, and assorted critters acted like I was not at all intruding in their world.  As the summer temperatures came, I seldom wore any clothes down there, and only occasionally needed the warmth of the blanket in the early morning hours. Sometimes, I would wear clothes, sometimes I would be naked. Eventually the bordering neighbors got to know me, and we would chat across the fences. (The fences were wire-grid, farm-style fences, not wooden, or solid.) So My tent, and my activities were never hidden. When they would wander out to the fence, to chat, they never once questioned my nakedness. They were friendly neighbors, and happy to chat. It always amazes me how open, welcoming, and friendly people can be. It is times like these, I am always reminded of how nice people can be, and I try to treat people the same way. It baffles me when I meet people that are mean because I do not do things the same as they do. I have seen both sides, and always look for those who like to be nice.
This was not far from where my tent was...
This is the what the hills all around looked like,
and I could see these views from my hammock. :)


As The end of August came, the temperatures were once again frosty at night, and I needed to cocoon myself again in the early morning hours. Kinda funny, because it is the same right now in Vegas. The crisp cool air is invigorating in both morning, and evening. I cocoon myself in my comfy chair, just like I did in my hammock.
I lived in my tent the entire summer of that year. It was mostly perfect for what I needed. I stayed there from May 15th, until the end of August. (The reasons I finally left the tent are numerous, but not a single one is because I did not feel welcome, or that it was in any way a bad place to live.) There were so many wonderful things that came about that summer because I chose to live in my tent. As the thoughts come to  mind, and I have time, I likely will write more about that summer of 2009. Hiking in The Red Clover fields, Skinnidipping at Gales Creek, exploring Bald Peak, Meeting many wonderful people, Lee Falls, The Tualatin River Headwaters, The Wildlife, Bee Hives, Fresh-picked Fruit, and so much more, are all things I eventually hope to write about. 

In many ways, writing about living in my tent is very appropriate for a Thanksgiving weekend writing.  Thanksgiving is all about what we are thankful for. The cold weather that comes to Vegas much later in the year than in Oregon, just happened to create the feeling that was so prevalent in both the beginning and the ending of that summer. It happens to be those feelings are happening while it is around Thanksgiving. This writing about my choosing to live in a tent, also brings up many of the things I am Very Thankful for.

I am extremely Thankful for all the wonderful people who manage to enter my life at the times when I seem to most need them. I often do not seek people when I am most needing them, but they somehow happen to be there, and do not even realize what an important role they play. I am blessed to have had the pleasure of meeting Kelly, and all her family. I am happy to still have her and her daughter still in my life through Facebook. They accepted me, welcomed me, and made a lasting impact on my life, and in my heart. That summer in my tent was one of the most wonderful, and most-blessed summers. If Kelly and her family had not reached out to welcome me in, I would have gone a completely different path.

Happy Thanksgiving! Jon~=:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. Please be polite and respectful. It is ok if you disagree with what I write, but it is not acceptable for you to be mean or slanderous. I Do choose to moderate comments, only to keep the peace. You can bet I will publish your comments, even if we disagree, just play nice. Thanks! ~=:-)