Monday, April 2, 2012

The Perfect (Naked?) Birthday!


The Perfect (nekkid) Birthday

Would it have been perfect even if I had not been naked? Good Question! I got the opportunity to enjoy it naked, so I did! Why Naked? One word: Freedom. Feel free to read many of my past posts to get a grasp of why naked is so wonderful. I know most see “naked” and immediately assume it is sexual. Nope! Simply Naked is not at all sexual, illegal, or even anything to be ashamed of.  If you are not sure whether you can read about someone living life naked with an open mind? Come, and see… Just remember to enter with an open mind, or with closed eyes.

March 30 is the date I entered this place called Earth 44 years ago. How did I spend My Birthday?
I Relaxed. I Played. I spent as much time in nature totally naked as possible.
A Perfect day! I was able to be free, comfortable, and relax in an environment loaded with things to enjoy, love, and watch. I saw critters, turtles, birds, and even many other humans. But the humans I saw were comfortable, peaceful humans... the kind I find joy in!

In Vegas, the warm weather comes early (sometimes). This year, we hit temps above 80-degrees in the final days of March. Of course we have also had temps in the 40’s, and even some Cold winds making it feel like winter. And, Ironically, today is April 1st, the temp is barely 50, and the winds are howling off the snowy mountains. Last week, Spring arrived, and with it, I moved my favorite chair out to my balcony so I could enjoy as much time outside as possible. So, today, I am writing this while bundled in hat, gloves, and multiple blankets… at least until the sun hits this area.
Ahhh.. a relaxing morning on my balcony.

But on March 30th, we hit 85. It was the perfect opportunity for me to go outside and play naked in nature!
The morning of my birthday was fairly warm, but with a chilly breeze, so I relaxed during the morning with some clothes on. This picture shows how wonderful a relaxing, warm, yet slightly breezy morning can be for me!

Once the day warmed-up, I headed out to play, escape, and find peace, nature, and wonder in this otherwise chaotic city.

Not far from the sprawl of Vegas sits a nature-wonderland. It is called The Wetlands Preserve Nature Park. This is a place where every bit of water that flows from Vegas merges and creates a wonderful river, wetlands, marshes, ponds, and incredible  sights that otherwise cannot be found for many miles. The amount of water that flows through here is at times mind-boggling, especially since you are fully aware that we are Smack in the middle of The Mojave Desert. The Wetlands is an area that goes for many miles where no motor vehicles are allowed, the plants, critters, and animals thrive, and it is a treasure, and joy to escape to this place. It would seem that for many years work has been done to make this possible. (Although last month I discovered a huge chunk of The Wetlands that has been torn-up, where they removed all vegetation, trees, and marsh, are installing roads, parking lots, and lots of concrete. It tore my heart up to see all the destruction!) Even with that destruction at the Southern end, the place encompasses many square miles so there is still part of it that is pure, and only accessible by hiking. This purely nature part is where I went for my birthday.

As I headed out from home, I dressed in Denim shorts, My comfy boots, and layered shirts, on top. The sun was warm, but there was still a chilled breeze, plus the busses are usually air conditioned, so sweatshirts are a must. (For some odd reason, the moment the temps get above 60, the busses run their A/C and keep the interior at about 40! It is completely ridiculous, because they have no concept about just maintaining a comfortable 65-70 degrees. But that is a blog for another day… back to my birthday!)

Nature and places about nature create an environment where people forget about all the nonsense, and silly rules that tend to imprison us in the city. When you venture into an outdoor, natural area, people tend to accept other humans for what they really are. We, as humans are funny by how we create such rules for in the city, but allow others to be themselves in nature. In nature, people relax, accept, and welcome what they would be freaked-out by in the city. In nature, nobody freaks-out at the sight of the human body. Nobody cares if the human has sags, wrinkles, jiggles, dimples, bumps, or character. In nature, nobody cares if you are skinny or round, tall or short, have smooth skin, or if your skin could be used as a topographical map. Nobody cares if you are hairy, or clean-shaven head to toe. Nobody cares what the color of your skin is, what your religion is, or even if you have no religion at all. Nobody cares what country you were born in, or even what language you speak.

By the time I reached the Wetlands, the temps were well above 70, the sun was shining, and there was a warm breeze. The parking lot was crowded, and this was the first time I had actually seen crowds out here. That did not change how things are in nature.

Ahhh, 80 degrees on my Birthday!
This meant that the very moment I was past the parking area, I could strip off most of my clothing. I say “most” because as a general rule, any place where people can drive to, or not walk more than five-minutes, they still tend to stick to their city-rules as far as what they accept. But once they walk more than five-minutes, the rules and their attitudes change. So, the moment I am past the parking area, I change into my “short-shorts”.  They are spandex/ lycra shorts that are designed specifically for exercise, comfort, and a snug, practical fit. These shorts are fun, comfortable, and ironically, smaller than many people would consider underwear. (The topic of “what is underwear” would be yet another blog in itself) I follow the rule of wearing as little as possible without creating problems for others.

The Wetlands Parks has many sections. The West-side is where the parking area is. This area is also full of paved-paths, and tends to have lots of easy access, and this is where you will find lots of people who do not wish to venture far from their cars. The paved trails make full-wide loops around this entire section. From these paved trails, there are also many dirt-trails meandering through the hidden areas to explore, and find birds, critters, fish, and insects. Many have children, toddlers, and even are pushing strollers. This is also a good, safe place for people to allow their kids to run, play, and be free without worry of harm, traffic, or people intolerant of kids. Yet, at the same time, these same people feel like they have escaped the city, and are here to explore nature… just without leaving the paved comforts of the city. Fortunately, they leave their city-views in their cars, and allow themselves to relax, enjoy, and play.

Egret finding lunch
The trails and paths meander through various marshes, ponds, streams, trees, meadows, and assorted benches, shelters, and rest areas.
In this side of The Wetlands, I will comfortably strip down to only my short-shorts, my boots, and my hat. If you are quiet, you can see, and get really close to all sorts of fun wildlife. Often, I will discover an egret, duck, heron, dragonfly, turtle, or other critter. I will stop and watch, and it usually is not long before some kids come ambling along the path. The kids are smart enough to know that if they see an adult standing still, they know there is something to see. By the time the lagging parent catches up to where the kids have stopped, they are pleasantly surprised to find that their kids have gathered around where I am, and are looking at the same thing I had found. The kids are always eager to show the parent what treasure they had found. The best thing about these kids is that they are so excited about seeing nature, that they never even notice the Giant Rubber Duck on my pack! Often, the parent(s) are thrilled that I was there, and showed their kids where to look. Most of the time, it is only a mom with the kids. For whatever reason, seldom does a dad come out on these adventures. (Also ironic, is how women always accept me for who I am, but the men act weird toward me, and my unique style of life. Women never make me feel at all uncomfortable, self-conscious, or even like I am somehow out-of-place.) But never do the women or kids ever look twice at my clothing, or more importantly the lack of clothing. This is nature, and anyone who comes out here is there for that purpose… to enjoy nature, be free, play, explore, relax, and have fun.

On my birthday, the place was very crowded, and surprisingly, there were a lot of men along with the women and children. At first, because of how men usually treat me, I was cautious about stripping down to almost no clothes. But I decided to do what I knew I needed to do, and not allow the men to make me uncomfortable.

See anything? I do :)
See that little white spot on the far edge of the pond?
It is the Egret I pointed out to the kids.
I had found a small pond with an Egret perched in a low tree about forty-yards from the edge of the trail. I was stopped there, and taking pictures, when I heard plenty of kids coming through the marsh. The first little girl saw me, stopped, and turned to the rest, motioning them to be quiet. As soon as she turned and motioned to the others, they instantly got quiet. The kids furthest back down the trail could be heard telling the parents to be quiet. It made me smile. The first little girl came right up beside me, and in a quiet voice asked what I saw out there. I pointed out where she should look, and let her find The Egret for herself. She was thrilled! As each of the kids joined us, she was so proud to do the same. She clearly was the leader of this group! There were about ten kids in this group. They all gathered real close to the edge of this pond right where I was. When the parents came around the trail, there were two men, and three women. The men stayed way back, and hardly looked interested in what the kids were excited about. The three women came to join their kids.

Egret watching me
This is The Egret we were watching across the pond.
One of the women asked if the kids were bothering me. I chuckled, and assured her they were not a bother. At this, the first little girl told all the others that if it was not for me, they would have passed-by this treasure. Another woman asked about the Giant Rubber Duck. The kids heard this, and were suddenly looking for what they had missed. It was hilarious to watch as they realized that they had all not seen it! I gave them some cards to find Ducky’s page. Several of them took pictures. After a bit, they all decided it was time to go on their way down the path. The entire group of women, and kids accepted me, did not care what I was, or was not wearing. They all thanked me, and went on their way. The men never even said hi, or looked like they knew I was there. (and people wonder why I get along better with women, and kids!)


The Bridge to adventure :)
The Bridge to Adventure :)




After meandering through much of the West-side, I was ready to leave the concrete, and go where I could play nekkid! There is a bridge that spans The Las Vegas Wash, and that bridge is also the gateway to where the entire feel of the place changes. Across this bridge, it is a bit more rugged, and rough. There are still paths, trails, and plenty of public places, but it has a bit of a more free-feel to it. Often, the people with kids only go up on the bridge, but seldom cross it. Occasionally, some will venture below the bridge, and explore the floodgates, spillways, and flowing water, fish, ducks, and interesting reeds, cattails, and marsh wildlife. Even if I see an occasional human on, and under the bridge, I seldom see more than one or two other humans on The East Side. This day was different. There were lots of humans all day long.

Shady rest break! (after this shot, I spent the next three hours wearing only boots and hat! :)
The shorts I wear hiking :)

I crossed the bridge, and decided to rest for a bit in the shade below the far-end of the bridge. Once I cross the bridge, this is where I can strip-off any remaining clothes, and just play totally nekkid for the rest of the day. The bridge is a high-vantage point, and from there anyone on it can see the entire area for many miles. Also from the bridge approaches, you can clearly see under and all around the bridge, so it is hardly a secluded area. From on top of the bridge, you can clearly see what is under it. Also, while under it, you can clearly see what is on top of it, because the sides are wide-open railings, and what you cannot see directly, you can see in the shadows cast below. I hardly expect that I am in any secluded, private place while down here. Nor do I expect that I cannot be seen, or am somehow invisible. I actually go about my nakedness as if I am always visible, so as to not ever cause surprise, alarm, or to ever seem like I am attempting to surprise anyone. This area under the bridge is a treasure of wildlife to watch at any given time. The bridge goes over the spillway flood-control gates built into the flowing waterway.
 I took this picture, and then got completely nekkid for the rest of the day. Woohoo! I got to play nekkid on my Birthday!

After I got nekkid, I was watching some turtles in the water, and I could feel someone watching me. When I looked up, I saw this girl crouched taking my picture from the other end of the bridge.

Saw this Girl across the water... about 60 yards away.
As soon as she saw me looking, she got up and scurried away… so I took her picture. J
I usually won’t take pictures of others, especially if I am not sure they would want their picture taken. But since she took mine, then fled, I felt it was fair. I laughed that she felt she needed to “sneak” a picture of me, since I was clearly not hiding, or avoiding being seen.


Ahhh! A Great way to spend my birthday!
The view across under the bridge...and happy feet! :)





















I went to explore the rocks below the floodgates. I left my pack, clothes, and camera sitting in the shade. I also left Ducky sitting on the concrete platform near the water. While I was on the rocks, a woman with four kids came across the bridge. I watched them curiously, but did not change what I was doing, or head back toward my pack and clothes. There were three girls, and one boy. The girls looked to be between the ages of five and ten, and were occasionally looking my way as they crossed the bridge. The boy looked to be about 11 or 12, and had seemed to not even notice I was here. The mom looked my way briefly. When it was clear that the woman was looking my way, I gave her a friendly wave to let her know I knew they were there, and it was not a problem. She waved back. They were no longer walking, but had stopped to watch the ducks below. She did not ever look at me like I was naked. Other than the friendly wave, she hardly noticed me. Also, she never tried to steer her kids away, or to keep them from looking my way. The mom was curiously watching each of her children, and also the birds, and ducks. The girls kept looking my way, but not in a surprised way, just like any person would glance at another enjoying the same activity. They smiled shyly, but never stared, or looked at me like they were seeing something they had never seen before. The boy never once looked my way, and I was wondering if he had not yet seen me, but it was clear the girls had seen me long before I saw them. I was not looking their way when the boy finally noticed me. He shouted “That man is naked!” The mom just laughed. Each of the girls just giggled, then one said “duh!”. The boy stared at me, but the girls had already seen, and this was not news to them. They were more interested in the ducks, and birds. The older girls occasionally looked my way, almost like they were happy to be allowed to see, but knowing they should not stare, or act like it is unusual. The youngest girl looked and grinned for longer periods. The mom watched their reactions, and smiled at each as they watched. They finished crossing the bridge, and the mom and girls came down to the area where I was. The boy stayed up on the end of the bridge. They tried to convince him to come explore and play where all of them were going, but he refused, and just sat down and waited up there. The girls went down under the bridge where my pack was, and to explore the spillway gates, and play in the water. The youngest girl saw Ducky, and grinning hugely asked if she could play with him. I told her she could, as long as she did not let him float away. The mom came over to me. She said hi, then asked if they were bothering me. I assured her they were fine, but expressed my concern about her son being mortified to see a naked person. She just laughed and said she did not know why he behaved that way, and she has always taught them that acceptance, and understanding was the right way to live, and how a place like this was a healthy place to be free. She said she was not sure how come her daughters understood this, but her son did not. She assured me that I was not a problem, and told me that she and the girls saw me long before they ever crossed the bridge, She said she had seen me long before they even started to cross the bridge, and she could tell I was safe, so proceeded to cross the bridge. She watched as each of the girls discovered me, and was pleased at how they looked, smiled, looked again, then looked at their mom to see if it was ok. Not one of them said anything, but just looked occasionally, and smiled. She told me each one did the same thing, and she just allowed them to make their own decisions about how to proceed. Each of the girls was happy to discover, and be allowed to see a naked person in a safe environment. The boy never noticed, and the girls never said anything. Her son only saw me once he was right where I was, and he was the only one surprised. She pointed out how her daughters only glanced my way a couple of times, grinned a bit, then went on to see other sights. As they left, the little girl thanked me for letting her play with Ducky, the other two waved, and thanked me. They went back across the river by going across the floodgates under the bridge. The son went back across the top, so he would not come near a naked person. The funny thing was he never stopped staring at me. This is yet another example of how come I just do not understand males. If he was unhappy, or offended, why was he staring at me? Why is it that the females are always accepting, courteous, and polite, yet the males always freak-out, stare, and act like being near a naked person is somehow a bad thing? Who teaches them to behave this way? The Mom and daughters were well-adjusted, happy, and there to enjoy all that is available in nature, yet the boy could see nothing but a naked person? (I had thought that since he did not see me from far away, but suddenly once he was close is significant…yet, the girls all saw me and were not surprised, but a few minutes later, I saw that he was just not comfortable around any naked.) After they crossed to the other side, they settled under the shade of the bridge, and ate their lunch. The boy finally came down to join them. As I was gathering my pack to head on downstream, I saw the boy hurrying up on top of the bridge again, then I noticed why: The mom and girls had taken off their clothes, and were playing in the water. The girls knew how to enjoy life. For some reason that boy would not allow himself to enjoy what was so common, free, and natural. Clearly, this family was not ashamed, or hid their nakedness, but the boy had somehow gotten the idea naked was bad. He clearly had seen his mom and sisters naked before, and they clearly were not at all embarrassed, but he seemed to flee from it. (which always makes me wonder why males get so weird about simple nakedness.)

Happy Couple
After that, I headed further downstream. I found many birds, and ducks to watch. The interesting thing about this part of The Wetlands is that only the water divides the two sections. Just twenty or thirty yards across is where the paved paths go along the edge of the water. I was on the unpaved side, and often I would look up to see people waving and saying hi from the other side. Not once did any of them care that I was naked. They were there to enjoy the same things I was enjoying, and a naked person did not change anything for them.

Many hours later, I headed back toward the bridge. I had passed many people while nekkid, and most of them waved, and said hi. Some of the men would hurry on past, while the women they were with would stop to give a genuine “hello”, or a happy wave. By this time I had stopped keeping an eye out for who might be approaching, or even if anyone was watching me. The day was a perfect example of how people will let you be yourself while in nature. Some would stop, and some would pretend they did not see you.

A Man and His Giant... Duck!
But when I stopped to take the set of pictures that included this one, I had to laugh! Just as I set the camera timer, and started this series of shots, two ladies who were out for a walk, stopped literally just behind where the camera was to laugh, and watch my antics! I was already in the middle of the action when they appeared. It just made me laugh! I had gotten so used to being watched, seen, and people being around me today, that I never even noticed they were right there when I set up for this series of shots! The two ladies were clearly having fun, and were quite happy to have been able to watch, and take their own pictures while I was taking mine! It was hard for me to not laugh, or make funny faces! (I always know I am visible to others, and also expect that I will be in their photos, too!) After the camera timer finished, I stopped to talk to them. They had been watching me for quite a while. They were on a brisk walk for several miles around The Wetlands. They saw me, and the Giant Rubber Duck from the paved paths on the other side, and also when they were crossing the bridge. Then, they came down the trail toward where I was so they could see what I was up to with This Duck. To their surprise, and Mine, too, I had just set-up and started these shots! I gave them each a card so they could find Ducky’s page. They went away, laughing, and thanking me for brightening their day! (They brightened mine, too!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Birthday was an incredible, and wonderful day with many events that all combined to make for one fantastic day! Because there were so many events, and each could comprise its own blog, this is a rather long writing. I decided to break this blog into two separate parts, so it is not such a long-read.
I will post the second part another day. ~=:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. Please be polite and respectful. It is ok if you disagree with what I write, but it is not acceptable for you to be mean or slanderous. I Do choose to moderate comments, only to keep the peace. You can bet I will publish your comments, even if we disagree, just play nice. Thanks! ~=:-)