Monday, August 18, 2014

Is It A Purple Kinda Day?

Is it A Purple Kinda Day?

Last week, a friend asked why I was wearing my plain denim shorts, instead of the Purple Booty Shorts I love so much. The simple answer: Safety.

Of course, there is not really such a simple answer. I also told her “The Bus is a different world.”
These of course are both true.

But there is so much more than safety, or the bus.
Fear.

Well, I Proudly, and Happily AM Wearing My Purple Booty Shorts Today on the bus! Fear Be Damned! (~Meemp~) I Hope I am as fearless As I think as I march out the door with no place, or no option to hide. (Picture me shriveled-up, hoping my invisibility cloak is working today…)
Fear plays a bigger part in what we choose to do daily than any other factor. Fear of what? You may ask. Good question. That is what we each need to look deeper at.  It is easy to just not be what we need to be, blend-in, and not stand-out. When I make big changes in my life, I tend to retreat a bit (A LOT!, ~Sigh~) from where I was before the changes. I tend to go more into a “Don’t look at me” mode. Which of course is only in my mind. I am different than anyone anywhere all the time. I cannot and do not blend-in, nor do I even for one second seem invisible to any who look my way. As much as I would love to sometimes, nothing about me says “”Blends-in”.



What changes have I made? And Why would I want to Be Invisible for a short-time?

Well, Last week I did something I have never before done. I chose to go live in one of those “Weekly” rental apartments. Technically it is a motel, with long-stay tenants. Yep, One of THOSE places. This decision did not come easy, but it did come easier than the decision to move from where I was. After months of searching, trying to find where I needed to be to find the life again that I had let get pushed aside, it finally hit me. I had left living Downtown Las Vegas one year ago. I realized Downtown was where my heart is, the culture, life, and community are. At least for me. I know Downtown is not for everyone. Once I decided I needed to be Downtown again, the deciding to move was easy. The hard part was while in the bad situation I was still living-in, I could not focus properly on finding where my next new home should be. The place I was leaving was extremely unhealthy, unclean, and a very unsafe environment. So I set a Move-out date, and knew it would be final… Whether I had found a home or not.

~GASP!~ I Really was about to commit to being Homeless again!! Oh MY, What have I just Done??
No worries, I told myself. I’ve been homeless before. Except this time, I was without a vehicle. So I put it in God’s hands. (I occasionally forget, and try to place things in my own control… silly Me!) But I totally gave it all up to Him, and went on Faith. Pure faith. Yup. Got the Uhaul truck, loaded up, and only once I was free from the old place did I begin looking for my next new temporary home.  I knew Vegas has thousands of those weekly rentals. No problem, right? …  

… Well, Long Story Short, This week has been faced will all sorts of new challenges, new  ways of living, and adjustments.
The story of how I actually ended-up in this particular weekly, plus all that happened leading to it is a story in itself, and I will write it another time.

But back to my Purple Shorts.

As I got dressed today, I noticed I HAD indeed re-found my confidence, safety, and began living exactly as I am, without fear. Heck, I even put on a Pink Bikini with Flamingos on it, went outside and took pictures! (Yes, there totally is a story, and blog to come about that!) I had even gone outside nekkid (yes on Fremont and 13th!) and not had a bit of fear. I finally got enough taken care-of , including what I think is my next new home lined-up. For the first time in months, I felt I could relax for a bit. Saturday afternoon, my only day off this week, I decided to relax. While I did my laundry, I also decided to go enjoy the pool. I even allowed myself to sunbathe in a place I never would have before. (Yes the sunbathing is a complete story all in itself also.)

Yup, I was ready to be myself, including wearing my Purple Booty Shorts …To work!
Now, there are “Strict” rules about how an employee is supposed to look upon entering The Airport. 
I, being a responsible employee, of course follow ALL The Rules! ~Cough! ~Ahem!

So, as I exited the bus, and entered The Airport, I proudly put on my badge, and marched right on in. Most of this morning crew had not previously seen me arrive in my Purple Booty Shorts. They were about to. I was ready. Boy is it always funny to watch peoples’ reactions. They should know better by now that there is nothing I will not do if it makes me smile and feel good.  But I always manage to shock a few. They will learn (maybe). The guys are always the funniest. They just do not know what to do with a guy who does not follow “Guy-Code”.

My Morning went great! Kinda funny, though. The entire rest of the day was a blur. Even as I changed back out of my uniform into my Purple for the trek home, I noticed somewhere the day disappeared in a blur. The magic of the Purple was missing. But it did not really hit me until I got a Snapchat from a friend as I drifted to sleep saying she hoped My “Purple Day” was great. Umm… I wish I could say it was great. The morning was. And That is what I will cherish. I also had a few good interactions with some of my favorite coworkers, and I will cherish those. I will continue to find the Magic of The Purple, even if it is in tiny doses.

I hope, no matter what is happening in your world, you remember to always find something to bring even the tiniest doses of Magic. Cherish those moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. Please be polite and respectful. It is ok if you disagree with what I write, but it is not acceptable for you to be mean or slanderous. I Do choose to moderate comments, only to keep the peace. You can bet I will publish your comments, even if we disagree, just play nice. Thanks! ~=:-)